I was a woman with a plan.
1. Make some cherry hand pies.
2. Take photos and share the recipe with both of my adoring fans.
I’ve done neither. That’s a less than passable photo from last time I made cherry hand pies. My life got in the way. Actually, my husband, bless his heart, got in the way.
Doesn’t he look a bit intrusive? In general, he’s a rockstar of a husband, but yesterday, I would have traded him in for a good pair of black, 1 1/2″ heel Donald J. Pliner sandals with a silver buckle on the side and those Tiffany sunglasses I’ve been swooning over. It went EXACTLY like this…. (his version would not differ, I SWEAR.)
“Hi honey, I have a fantastic plan! I’m going to sell my Volvo to the Volvo mechanic and then take the money and a bit more, and give it to our friend Dan who is driving out of state and he is going to buy a car trailer while he is there and bring me home a….
Karmann Ghia!!!!!” I sounded very enthusiastic. VERY enthusiastic. I’m still not certain how my exhuberance didn’t rub off on him. I know, I didn’t do well in high-school drama, but this was for real. I was genuinely excited and somehow, this sentiment should have rubbed off on the man.
My dear husband, didn’t quite share my viewpoint. He is, however smart enough to wait a little while before throwing me into oncoming traffic. He called me later to waylay my plans. He very nicely explained all of the logical reasons why it wasn’t a good idea for me to buy a miniature 40 year old car and did his best to bring me back to reality.
The problem was, now I felt like EATING hand pies, but I no longer felt like MAKING them.
Let’s talk about all of the good reasons why I should get a Karmann Ghia.
1. I grew up with a red Karmann Ghia. It’s nostalgic for me.
2. My dad bought me another Karmann Ghia as my first car. It’s even MORE nostalgic for me than it was after reason #1
3. I have blonde hair and would look very cute in that car.
4. I have a pair of red shoes that would match that car.
5. I have an unusually large dog who would ALSO look very cute in that car!
6. It gets very good gas mileage. I live in California and it’s sunny most of the time and I could work on my tan WHILE I was driving around, looking cute in my car.
7. I want it. Badly.
I feel very sorry for my husband. He works VERY hard and likes to come home to a nice, tasty, dinner. And now, that he won’t buy me the car that I want, and I have to find ways to scrimp and save several thousand dollars on the side, he might have to eat a lot of:
Posted on July 29th, 2010 by katiedidit
Filed under: bla bla bla